Top 5 Holiday Hazards to Your Pet

Top 5 Holiday Hazards to Your Pet

Photo courtesy of C&M Photography

Photo courtesy of C&M Photography

At this time of the year I always like to remind everyone about potential holiday hazards to your animal.

1. Christmas Tree – this includes the ornaments, tinsel, and the water in the Christmas tree stand. Keep your glass ornaments out of reach of your dog or kitty. Animals are attracted to the vivid colors and the light playing on these ornaments. I have seen more than one animal break those glass ornaments only to ingest some of the ornament or cut their feet on the broken glass.

No tinsel on your Christmas tree either! Cats, in particular, are attracted to the shiny stuff. Having a little snack on the tinsel is guaranteed to have you rushing your
4-legged friend to the vet for emergency surgery.

Did you know the water in that Christmas tree stand is toxic to animals? Keep that water stand covered with a towel. You don’t want your animals thinking you have put out an extra water bowl especially for them!

2. Chocolate – Chocolate is toxic to dogs. If you plan on giving some lucky person some yummy chocolate for the holidays, do not leave that well-wrapped package under the tree or in any other place where your dog can reach it. There are many dogs that can “sniff out” that box of chocolate, even when it is still wrapped in all its finery.

3.  Food –When you are sitting around the dining room table enjoying your meal, make sure you have put the kitchen garbage well out of reach of your animals. More than one animal has necessitated a trip to the emergency room because of partaking in things they should not be.

4.  Bows and ribbons – Your animals are just as attracted to those beautifully wrapped packages. You don’t need kitty having a meal of those beautiful ribbons and bows. Keep these packages in a closet until gift-giving time.

5.  Mushrooms! – OK, this isn’t necessarily a holiday hazard, per se, but these darn things have been sprouting up everywhere! These wild mushrooms are deadly to your dog. Don’t let them eat them! If you even suspect your dog has eaten a mushroom, you must get them to the vet immediately.

2017-05-16T15:07:56+00:00

2 Comments

  1. Hiromi December 11, 2014 at 5:09 am - Reply

    Thanks for the tips! Good thing my dog is not interested in any of those and we have a fake tree, so no water. But my friend has a dog who eats anything… She has been to ER 2-3 times for that. Yikes!

    • Jan's Pet Sitting December 11, 2014 at 5:56 am - Reply

      Glad you enjoyed the tips Hiromi! Yes, when one has an animal that eats anything, it is double important to keep an eye on them and keep things out of their reach!

Leave A Comment