- City you live in
- Number and types of animals
- Dates you will be gone
- If any of your animals need medication
We only hire employees! Having employees also allows us to make sure the job specifications are carried out according to your specific guidelines and according to the high standards of Jan’s Pet Sitting.
Prior to hiring all prospective employees undergo a background check, which is conducted by a private company. All of our employees are also covered by workers compensation insurance.
At this meeting we will complete the necessary paperwork. It will help to speed up things if you have the following information handy:
- Name/contact information of a local person we can reach in case of an emergency
- Vet information
- Medications/dosages/frequency of any medications your animals may need
- Animal’s license number and rabies number
- Microchip information
At this initial meeting you will also need to provide us with 2 sets of keys.
Yes! All employees are personally trained by Jan. Recent seminars that have been attended by Jan and employees of Jan’s Pet Sitting include:
- PetTech® Pet First Aid/CPR Training
- Pet Sitter Workshop offered through Peninsula Humane Society
- Dog Training seminars with hands-on training (various dates)
- Cat Behavior seminar (05/07)
- Reptile/Amphibian seminar (05/06)
- Pet Sitters International Regional Conference, Burlingame, CA (02/07)
- CyberSitters Conference, Las Vegas, (01/07)
All employees attend other seminars as they are offered in relation to the care of animals.
The sooner you are able to book with us the better, especially during the busy summer and holiday times!
If you are a new client and we have not yet met, we recommend you contact us a minimum of 2 weeks in advance so we can set up a time to meet each other and complete the necessary paperwork. If you need service in less than 2 weeks, please do call us anyway as we may still be able to accommodate you!
At this time, we do NOT accept credit cards. However, when we come to meet with you we do ask you for a credit card number to be used in case of a vet emergency. This information is kept in a locked file cabinet and is used only for an animal-related emergency.
Due to safety and security concerns we do not accept any jobs involved in hiding keys. We do not accept remotes as they can break or malfunction plus we do not have the space to store remotes.
We have found through years of handling client keys, clients prefer having control of their own keys. Jan’s Pet Sitting utilizes a key lock box for your while services are being performed.
This is how our lockbox service works:
- When we arrive for our initial meeting with you, we will bring a lockbox with us.
- We will have already set your lockbox with a 4-digit code, only known to you and to Jan’s Pet Sitting.
- At our initial meeting, you will provide TWO sets of keys. We will test the keys to confirm they work. The keys will be placed in the lockbox and we will agree on a designated area the lockbox will be located.
- When you return home from your trip, you are free to bring the lockbox inside. Just be sure to return it to the designated area when your travel needs arise again!
- There is a one-time charge of $15.00 for the lockbox, payable to Jan’s Pet Sitting. Cash is fine too. This fee is due at our initial meeting.
Should one of the keys malfunction, we always have access to a second, back up key, ensuring we will be able to access your premises.
We recommend a place that is easy to reach and gain access too. Many clients place them on a gate handle or a door handle. Other possibilities are on your meter box. At the initial meeting, you and your sitter will agree on where the lockbox will be placed.
We realize many condos/townhomes prevent putting out lockboxes. If this is your case, please discuss with us.
No worries! At the time of our initial meeting, the lockbox code will have already been set for you! We will leave the lockbox, code, and directions for use of the lockbox with you. The lockbox is yours to keep and use for future visits by Jan’s Pet Sitting.
We will attempt to contact you or your emergency contact for a key. If we are unable to obtain a key, we will contact a locksmith to gain entry and care for your pets. You will be responsible for all locksmith charges as well as time spent by Jan’s Pet Sitting to locate a backup key, contact a locksmith and wait for the locksmith.
Professional Pet Care
Pet owners trust us to look after the needs of their beloved companions. We are specialists committed to delivering the very highest of care and affection.